We are pleased to inform you that Pacific Autism Family Network, in collaboration with ABLE Developmental Clinic, will be offering the Facing Your Fears program, an evidence-based anxiety treatment group for children with high functioning autism and their families. This group is based on the principles of cognitive behaviour therapy, however it is tailored to the unique needs of individuals on the autism spectrum. For example, the use of increased structure and routine, use of visuals and hands-on activities to make abstract concepts more accessible, high engagement of parents in the treatment process, and a focus on generalization of skills from the start.
Parents and children will learn:
- The nuts and bolts of anxiety and how it affects behaviour, the body and mind
- How to better identify anxiety and distinguish it from other behaviour
- Specific coping strategies such as relaxation and helpful thoughts
- How to face fears in systematic, small steps
- How use effective coaching techniques including praise, encouragement and rewards
This group will be supervised and led by psychologists with specific training in the field of ASD and cognitive behaviour therapy.